Saturday, October 6, 2007

Getting lost... again !!!

By Jamie Gross
I had planned to start out by doing the self-guided walking tour suggested in a famous guide. I got off at Plaza Italia and first went to the Jardin Botanico Carlos Thays. I am usually someone who finds gardens boring, but I loved this one. It just had this foresty feel and Alice in Wonderland experience if that makes sense (probably not!). There were tons of stray cats in this place. Thing is, these cats are happy and fat! I had a good time here and continued my journey walking around Palermo.
I walked to the entrance of Jardin Zoologico just to see what it all was about. I am not someone who supports zoos or places that take animals out of their natural environment placing them in captivity. Needless to say, I did not go inside. I walked around it to try to find Palermo Chico. Took a right instead of a left, and got lost.
I continued my journey on walking to find Malba which I kept saying to myself was pronounced “Melba” *. Did I get lost? You bet I did! I saw this huge thing like looked like a giant silver golf ball (or the thing at Epcot Center in Orlando) so I assumed it had to be Malba. Ended up being the Planetarium…
On the way to Malba, I saw these gorgeous geese and ducks that I have never seen before in my life in this pond! These geese were fricken big! I handfed them some of my zone bar. I hope the rule of chocolate that applies for dogs, does not apply for birds. I know it sounds kind of corny to say this, but there is almost a magical feeling when such a large and busy city has a calming and relaxes sense of atmosphere such as this. Remind me of Hyde Park in London and of Lake Shrine in Pacific Palisades.
I Found Malba. Thought it was going to be this really big museum almost like the Met in New York. I think it has two stories? I walked through in about 25 minutes. Saw some pieces of art I loved and I am not really an art lover. I took a picture of this bizarre painting/sculpture. I got yelled out. I didn’t know that no photos were allowed. I went downstairs to head out and saw this gigantic photograph of this man sitting down almost in a meditating state with a levitating pancake! Was about to take a photo (it wasn’t a painting!) and another security guard yelled at me. Went to the gift shop to see if I could purchase a postcard or poster of that photograph, and the worker said people always ask about that photograph, but that they did not have anything with a reproduction...


Jardín Botánico "Carlos Thays": 3951 Santa Fe Ave. # 54- (0) 11- 4831 4527
Planetarium: Sarmiento and Figueroa Alcorta Ave. # 54- (0) 11- 4771-9393 / 4771-6629
MALBA : 3415 Figueroa Alcorta Ave. # 54-(0)11- 4808-6500
*Melba: famous chocolate cookies in Argentina

No comments: